Animal Neurology & MRI Center Services
The services offered at Animal Neurology & MRI Center are performed by a team of board-certified neurologists/neurosurgeons who are experienced in performing surgeries on the brain and spine, including:
- Disc surgery: decompression of the spine
- Spinal surgery: distraction and stabilization for wobbler syndrome, spinal fracture repair, removal of tumors
- Brain surgery: biopsy and resection of brain tumors, shunting for hydrocephalus, foramen magnum decompression for Chiari type malformation
- Muscle & nerve biopsies
Our MRI and CT services are available on an outpatient basis, allowing for expanded diagnostic capabilities. These advanced imaging modalities are not limited in their use to neurological cases.
MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging)
MRI uses a powerful magnetic field to produce an image. This diagnostic technique provides the best images to diagnose brain and certain spinal cord disorders. It’s also useful in diagnosing certain muscle conditions and diseases in the chest, abdomen and joints. It’s a non-invasive procedure that requires anesthesia as well as an MRI contrast agent given by injection during the exam. The degree of contrast helps to determine whether tissue is normal, inflamed or cancerous. The contrast agent also helps define the borders between normal and abnormal tissues. The first series of scans are performed without contrast. MRI scans of the brain always require contrast injections and post contrast scans. MRI scans of the spine do not always require contrast.
MRI is the preferred imaging modality for brain and spinal cord disease but is also useful in diagnosis of:
- Orthopedic conditions (arthropathies, i.e. tendinitis, cranial cruciate lig. ruptures, meniscus tears)
- Muscle strains/tears (i.e. iliopsoas tear)
- Soft tissue neoplasia
CT-Scanning (Computed Tomography)
CT-scanning is an X-ray technique that uses a computer to examine the spine and skull. It’s often used to diagnose tumors in bones or in combination with myelography to diagnose wobbler syndrome and intervertebral disc disease (IVDD). The procedure requires anesthesia. Myelography is an X-ray procedure that uses a special dye injected into the spinal fluid surrounding the spinal cord to make it visible. This procedure aids in diagnosing wobbler syndrome and IVDD. CT is an excellent imaging modality for:
- Ear disease (external, middle, and inner ear disease)
- Nasal cavities & frontal sinuses (i.e. rhinitis vs. neoplasia)
- Orthopedic conditions (joint disease, long bone neoplasia)
- Diagnosis of masses/tumors and metastatic disease (CT of thoracic and abdominal cavity)
For pricing or scheduling information on our CT and MRI services, please call to speak with one of our staff members.